"Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom;
yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom;
seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

"And the gatherer sought to find pleasing words, worthy writings, words of Truth."
Ecclesiastes 12:10



Saturday, April 16, 2016

Havel - the challenge of an example

Havel finds a new energy in the quiet dignity, courage and solidarity of the defendants in the trial -

"Somewhere deep down, however, I discerned yet another element in this experience, perhaps the most important of all.  It was something that aroused me, a challenge that was all the more urgent for being unintentional.  It was the challenge of example.  Suddenly, much of the wariness and caution that marks my behavior seemed petty to me.  I felt an increased revulsion towards all forms of guile, all attempts at painlessly worming one's way out of vital dilemmas.  Suddenly, I discovered in myself more determination in one direction, and more independence in another.  Suddenly, I felt disgusted with a whole world, in which - as I realized then - I still have one foot: the world of emergency exits."

No comments:

Post a Comment