"Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom;
yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom;
seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

"And the gatherer sought to find pleasing words, worthy writings, words of Truth."
Ecclesiastes 12:10



Thursday, November 16, 2017

Lear's progress

I finished Lear this week.  I was touched again by Lear's progress from a self centered, shallow man to a deeper, more compassionate, aware and thoughtful human being.  I'm always caught by that bittersweet turning point in the storm where he first begins to think about the ills of others.  First the fool -

"Come on, my boy. How dost, my boy? Art cold?"

And then a broader consideration for all the poor -

"Poor naked wretches, whereso'er you are,
That bide the pelting of this pitiless storm,
How shall your houseless heads and unfed sides,
Your looped and windowed raggedness, defend you
From seasons such as these? O, I have ta'en
Too little care of this."

As it does for all of us, the growing awareness of needs we might have meet brings remorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment