"Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom;
yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom;
seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

"And the gatherer sought to find pleasing words, worthy writings, words of Truth."
Ecclesiastes 12:10



Monday, December 11, 2017

Chief Characteristics of Satori - 5

"5. Sense of the Beyond.  ...in satori there is always what we may call a sense of the Beyond; the experience is indeed my own, but I feel it to be rooted elsewhere.  The individual shell in which my personality is so solidly encased explodes at the moment of satori.  Not necessarily, that I get unified with a being greater than myself or absorbed into it, but that my individuality, which I found rigidly held together and definitely kept separate from other individual existences, becomes loosened somehow from its tightening grip and melts away into something indescribable, something which is of quite a different order from what I am accustomed to."

................................

"To call this Beyond, the Absolute, or God, or a Person is to go further than the experience itself."

.................................

"The feeling that follows is that of a complete release or a complete rest - the feeling that one has arrived finally at the destination.  'coming home and quietly resting' is the expression generally used....The story of the prodigal son...points to the same feeling one has at the moment of a satori experience."


D. T. Suzuki
Zen Buddhism

No comments:

Post a Comment