"Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom;
yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom;
seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

"And the gatherer sought to find pleasing words, worthy writings, words of Truth."
Ecclesiastes 12:10



Friday, September 29, 2017

Havel's Philosophical Background


"Of all the philosophy I have read since my youth, existentialism, and thus phenomenology as well, were always what stimulated and attracted me most.  I enjoyed reading works by those authors, yet my knowledge in that regard was always superficial.  I was influenced more by the atmosphere of their thinking than I was by particular theses, concepts, conclusions, etc.  I read them for the delight and excitement I found in them, rather than to learn, study or commit details to memory.  For some time, therefore, I approached philosophy somewhat the way we approach art."

Vaclav Havel
Letters to Olga

In Havel's description of his relationship to God (posted earlier) you can see the vocabulary of phenomenology - being and horizon, etc.  Interesting to see how the spirit of your time colors the way you approach what we think of as universal phenomenon.

No comments:

Post a Comment