"Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom;
yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom;
seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

"And the gatherer sought to find pleasing words, worthy writings, words of Truth."
Ecclesiastes 12:10



Monday, April 9, 2018

I Am That - Nisargadatta Maharaj

The more I read, the more I find myself drawn not to the austere, cold Maharaj, but to his ardent questioners.  Instead of a sterile, dry, self-satisfied I am, they live in a more interesting and plausible universe: a God exists, creates and causes, has mercy, loves and suffers with us, and respects freedom; persons exist, not universal consciousness in some disconnected semi-bliss, but "focalized, centered, and individualized in a person;" the world exists, and is not an illusion to be overcome, but a field for the "knowing, knower and known" --

"Consciousness implies a conscious being, an object of consciousness, and the fact of being conscious.  That which is conscious I call a person.  A person lives in the world, is a part of it, affects it, and is affected by it."

I'm fascinated by the book, not by the Hindu master, but by the people who talk with him and challenge him.

No comments:

Post a Comment