"Seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom;
yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom;
seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

"And the gatherer sought to find pleasing words, worthy writings, words of Truth."
Ecclesiastes 12:10



Saturday, October 13, 2018

Books!!!

Unto my books - so good to turn -
Far ends of tired Days -
It half endears the Abstinence -
And Pain - is missed - in Praise -

As Flavors - cheer Retarded Guests
With Banquettings to be -
So Spices - stimulate the time -
Till my small Library -

It may be Wilderness - without -
Far feet of failing Men -
But Holiday - excludes the night -
And it is Bells - within -

I thank these Kinsmen of the Shelf -
Their Countenances Kid -
Enamour - in Prospective -
And satisfy - obtained -


Emily Dickinson
The Poems of Emily Dickinson (Franklin), 512

I do find my books, my own "small library" augmented temporarily by borrowings from the four library systems that I have access to, indeed brings solace to "far ends of tired days."  Sometimes the very sight of a book's countenance (whether leather or not) can "enamour in prospective" of future reading pleasures.  This blog is a small glimpse into the satisfactions of that reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment